MD Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez at State House in Annapolis
WHO IS ANA SOL GUTIERREZ???
- ANA is a MD legislator, a systems engineer, an experienced policymaker, budget expert, and problem solver committed to great schools, balanced economic development, reliable transportation, and climate change solutions.
- Ana is proudly participating in MoCo’s Publicly Financing Fund that will keep big donors, corporations and developers out of our County elections.
- She made history as the first Latina to be elected in Maryland, as well as the First Salvadoran-American elected to public office in the USA (1990). Ana served 16 years as a State Delegate representing District 18 in Annapolis and 8 years on the school board.
- By profession, Ana is a chemist and computer systems engineer,with over 30 years work experience in information technology in the public and private sector. She is a recognized leader and role model for women in the fields of science & technology (STEM).
- Her passion for Education Equity and her extensive experience with public policy at local, state, and national levels have made her an effective, progressive leader and budget expert in Annapolis.
- She fought to pass historic legislationin Maryland including Marriage Equality, the MD Dream Act, Paid Sick Leave, and to strengthen our Gun Safety laws, advocates for Universal Health Care for all, and is a Champion for Women's Rights, our Environment, and expanding Language access for English Language Learners and Dual Language programs for all students in early grades.
- EDUCATION--She graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase HS and has a B.S. in Chemistry from The Pennsylvania State University; a Master of Science in Scientific and Technical Information Management from American University, and post-graduate studies in Engineering Management at George Washington University. She attended Harvard University's JFK School of Government Executive Management program.
- PERSONAL: Ana was born in El Salvador and came to Chevy Chase, Maryland at the early age of 4 with her diplomatic family. Ana has lived in her own Chevy Chase home for over 50 years, where as a single mother, she raised her three sons, Fernando, Alex, and Rodrigo (Gogo) Gutierrez. Now she is a VERY PROUD Grandmother of Seven Terrific Grandkids!
SUMMARY of ANA's Qualifications for Office on the County Council:
• Ana has over 25 years of public service at the state, local, and Federal levels: MD House of Delegates, MCPS, and US DOT.
• Her public/private-sector experience at CSC, Ford Aerospace for NASA, FAA, US Dpt. of Education and others, taught her how vital good government and effective resource management are to delivering results and meeting resident's needs and expectations.
• Her activism and advocacy for working families, immigrants, women, children, and youth reflect her cross-cultural understanding & multilingual communication talents, reliable transportation, public safety, and environmental protection.